My church just replaced our copies of the Book of Psalms for Singing with the new Trinity Psalter Hymnal published by the OPC and URCNA. I was asked to present an introduction to this new song book in our Sunday school class. It turned into a brief history of hymnody and psalmody in American Presbyterians along with looking at some distinctives of this wonder new hymnal.
You can listen on SermonAudio.
Some resources I used in preparation:
- A Quick First Glance at the Trinity Psalter Hymnal by Ligon Duncan
- Reflections On The 2018 Trinity Psalter Hymnal by Shane Lems
- Recovering Mother Kirk
- OPC General Assembly Minutes
- Between the Times
- Sing a New Song to the Lord: An Historical Survey of American Presbyterian Hymnals by James Rawlings Sydnor
- The New Presbyterian Hymnal by J. Gresham Machen
- What we can learn about Martin Luther from his hymn writing
- Origins of Calvin’s Theology of Music: 1536-1543 by Charles Garside, Jr.
comments powered by Disqus